Monday, November 10, 2008

November 11 - Volatile Vegetarians

I picked up some vegan ice cream (rice cream, technically) from our little food shop today and read the ingredients with considerable interest. Apparently they’ve put something call vegetarian stabilizers in my chocolate treat. Do vegetarians need to be stabilized? If so, why is this not public knowledge? Why must these stabilizers be placed surreptitiously into innocent looking dessert containers? In addition, the company that puts out these stabilizer-infused sweets is called B’Nice... coincidence? I think not.

3 comments:

mom said...

I've always thought vegetarians needed a little stabilizing...it's really a deep dark conspiracy by the meatarians of the world to lull the vegetarian/vegans into contentment and complacency, so they can take over the world with their bloody carcasses...bwah, hah, hah...but don't tell anybody...

mom said...

I considered going vegan too, you know... then I realized that, upon admission thereof, I would probably find myself in close combat with 10 or 15 gun-totin' Texans for trying to destroy their economy. Texans are the ones who need stabilizers, at least so far as I've learned over the last few months. Maybe I'll just quietly protest ideologically.

-Nate

Elysia said...

You have to remember that a lot of people go vegetarian on principle, but don't actually think about why we are omnivores.
We need the nutrients that exist in fat and meat, and unless you are careful, you can't get those nutrients in sufficient quantity from plants alone. Many young vegetarians don't understand this and that's not healthy at all.